Every Indian citizen is granted an Aadhaar card, which is a unique identifying number. Aadhaar cards are just as important as PAN cards. Most businesses, including mutual fund companies, accept it as part of the investment documents. Let’s take a closer look at Aadhaar and its importance.
It is a 12-digit number based on biometric and demographic data that is unique to each person. The Government of India’s UIDAI (Unique Identification Authority of India) is the official authority for Aadhaar. UIDAI was founded in 2016 with the goal of providing good, transparent, and efficient governance to the Indian people.
Table of Contents
Aadhaar Card Eligibility
The following people are eligible for an Aadhaar card:
- An Aadhaar card is available to any Indian citizen. For children below five years of age, one can apply for Baal Aadhaar.
- NRIs and immigrants who have been in India for more than a year are eligible to get an Aadhaar card. It is suggested that NRIs with Indian passports receive an Aadhaar card immediately upon arriving in India, rather than waiting 180 days.
Documentation for Aadhar Card
|Proof of Address||Proof of Identification|
|Ration Card||Birth Certificate|
|Voter ID Card|
How to enroll for an Aadhar Card
- Visit the official website to locate your nearest Aadhaar enrolment centre.
- Complete the form with all the relevant information.
- Provide all of the documents that are needed papers.
- Provide iris and fingerprint scans for biometrics.
- Obtain the enrolling confirmation slip.
- Enrollment in Aadhaar is completely free of charge.
A ‘Baal Aadhaar’ card is an Aadhaar card provided to a newborn or young kid. It is blue in colour and, unlike the adult card, does not carry the cardholder’s biometric information such as iris scan or fingerprints.
- With a copy of the child’s birth certificate, go to the UIDAI website and look for the nearest enrolling centre.
- For authentication, either one of the child’s parents must submit their Aadhaar number. The minor’s Aadhaar will be connected to the Aadhaar of the parents.
- Fill out the application form for Baal Aadhaar with all essential information and a cellphone number to register for Baal Aadhaar.
- The child will be photographed. If the kid is under the age of 5, no biometrics will be taken.
- Collect your acknowledgment slip after completing the preceding procedures.
- A verification SMS will be sent to the registered number. Following that, the Baal Aadhaar card will be delivered to the address.
How to check Aadhar Card Status
To check the status of your Aadhaar card, go to the official UIDAI website and choose ‘Check Aadhaar Status’ from the Aadhaar enrollment menu. To verify the status of your Aadhaar card, enter the enrollment number displayed on the acknowledgment slip.
How to download/print your Aadhaar Card
In case, you have officially enrolled for an Aadhaar card but are yet to get a hard copy, you may visit the UIDAI website to download and take a print out of your card, also known as e-Aadhaar. This is universally acknowledged. To obtain your Aadhaar, go to the UIDAI website.
How to do Aadhar Verification?
The following methods may now be used to quickly validate Aadhaar online:
- Go to the UIDAI’s official website.
- On the website, select the ‘Aadhaar services’ option.
- On the website, select ‘Aadhaar Verification.’
- Enter the 12-digit Aadhaar number that is unique to you.
- You will receive an OTP on your phone which you are supposed to enter.
- Fill out the application and submit it.
If there is a discrepancy in information, call 1947 (UIDAI toll-free number), or go to the UIDAI website.
How to edit or update your Aadhaar Card?
The following are the two most important reasons to update your Aadhaar card information:
- Changes in demographic information such as name, age, and family status.
- Aadhaar biometric data
To change information, you’ll need a copy of valid documents. The update may be completed at an Aadhaar Enrolment Center or by going to the UIDAI website and updating the Adhar online.
What is an Aadhaar Virtual ID?
The Aadhaar Virtual ID is a replacement for the Aadhaar number. This digital ID is a one-time code comprised of a 16-digit number produced from an Aadhaar number. Keep in mind that the virtual ID cannot be used to obtain the real Aadhaar card under any circumstances. An Aadhaar number generates just one virtual ID, which the user can generate as many times as they wish.
1. What should you do if your Aadhaar card is lost?
Do not be concerned if you have misplaced or lost your Aadhaar card. You may acquire a duplicate Aadhaar card by visiting the UIDAI website and using the Aadhaar online services to get the PDF/e-Aadhaar.
2. What is the validity of the Aadhaar card?
The Aadhaar card/number is permanent.
3. Is it possible to create an Aadhaar card online?
No, enrolment for Aadhaar is a one-time physical operation that may be completed at any Aadhaar enrolment centre. Visit the UIDAI website and type in “Aadhaar enrolment centre” to discover an Aadhaar enrolment centre near you.
4. What is the significance of an Aadhaar Card?
Aadhaar is a one-of-a-kind identifying number that allows each Indian citizen to do the following:
- Identity Verification
- Access to government subsidies with proof of address
- Having the ability to open and manage a bank account
- Preparing and submitting tax returns
- Connection to the phone
- Connection to the gas supply
- Electronic Know-Your-Customer (eKYC) for mutual fund investing
- For eKYC, Aadhaar is required (Know Your Customer)